Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Leaving on a VTOL Gunship...

Or, a new genre in development?

Ever since getting thrashed at Halo by Mark's boy I've had a bit of a fascination with the game.  I've never really played it, but I do like the look of some of the elements (Terrain layouts, Warthogs, Pelicans, spaceships, and some of the alien baddies - I'm cluless as to what they are called).

So, recently there have bene a rash of announcements about 1/100 Halo ground troops going to be released, Excellent!
However, there are already a bunch of not-Halo figs out there, I can think of not-spartans, not-marines and not-aliens.  Currently not-vehicles are harder to source.  The McFarlane's (sp?) halo toys are nice, but scale at or around 20mm, and lack a Pelican.  Fortunately, Dark Horse Comics have stepped up to fix that.  They recently released a painted resin Pelican, avaialble in 2 liveries, grey and green.  While they are pre-painted, they are still not cheap, unless you get a score on Ebay, which I did.

Sweet!  Its a really nice sculpt with lots of detail.  The green paint-job has been done neatly, with some contrasting panels in greay.  Underneath, there is more contrasting grey.  All symbols and letters appear to be decals, again neatly placed.  I guess it could be detailed and enhanced with realitively little more work, however, its a perfectly usable wargaming-plus level straight out of the box

But how big is is?  It measures around 6 inches long by 5 inches wide by 1 1/2 inches deep (at deepest spot).  While it may not be 15mm, it looks close for a gaming model
 Pelican dropping (part-painted) Spartans off on a mission.  The model has landing gear moulded in 'up' as its meant to be displayed on a plinth (supplied)
 Ready for take-off
But how big is it?  L to R: Galoob (Action Fleet) UD-4L, Pelican, Rebel Minis (no idea of name), 1/150 Model Power Osprey, Armys Armies VTOL, GZG AV8B.  Top LHS is the Pelican's flight-base plinth
 UD-4L and Pelican
Pelican and Rebel Minis. I do have some 1/100 modern helicopters and aircraft, I may dig them out and compare too. 

My guess is that the Pelican is at around a 1/150 scale, while its small for 15mm, it works fine for me.  A slight bonus from the smaller scale is that as it is solid resin the slightly shrunken scale will work better on raised (12") flight bases, and then the scale discepency will be less obvious.

So why the potentially new genre?  Well, I just splurged on some not-Halo aliens for Xmas and I'm going to tinker with ways to play video-game-inspired minis games.  More once I have figs painted.

No comments:

Post a Comment