Monday, September 16, 2019

The N+1 problem

Tech is moving fast in the mountain bike world these days.  I've been on the Kona Process for a few years now and it is starting to show.  But first, a pic of the Process from Kona's site


This is a really fun bike to ride bike.  Its awesome going downhill, and over undulating terrain.  Its just not so good going up big hills.  I get a lot of rear suspension bob and end up using the lock-out a lot.  It is also heavy, even with fancy new I9 Enduro wheels and some carbon bits its still a heavy bike.  This adds to the challenge pedaling this up big hills.

So perhaps its time for a replacement?  The problem is tech may be moving fast but the entry price for a decent bike seems to have rocketed too.  With a bit of planning ahead... ...OK, once I bought the Kona I started saving for its replacement, and a lot of wavering over build-per-dollar-worthiness  I picked a new-bike candidate, a 2018/9 Santa Cruz Bronson (in blue).


Earlier this summer off I went to the local bike store to buy a new bike.  My plan to save some cash was to buy a 'last-year's model'.  The sales guy was keen to sell me one but Santa Cruz had none in my size/colour choice.  I had to wait for the 2020 new releases. 

So I waited, and waited, and in true Santa Cruz fashion their took their sweet time.  Then the day arrived, and one new Bronson arrived...  ...(Santa Cruz's pic)

 And mine on its first ride
And now the conundrum.  I've been out on a few rides on this awesome bike and I'm really beginning to feel the opposite of N+1, this bike really may be the 'quiver killer'.  It is fun to ride over poppy terrain, it descends faster than I dare and its climbs pretty darned well too (for a 160mm travel bike).  If this keeps up I'm not going to need this any more...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment