Thursday, August 17, 2017

And now, a brief diversion for something different

We have had a fairly big celebration at this end recently, a pretty darned reasonable amount of Champagne has been imbibed.  I've held off blogging this as I don't want to seem 'pushy', but I'm kind of proud of this one so I'm going to spill the beans...

A bit more than seven years ago I started a new job in a tiny Biotech company (I was employee no. 35), our goal was to discover new ways to fight cancer via targeting metabolic pathways.  Well, in short, we succeeded.

A couple of weeks ago the FDA approved out first drug, IDHIFA, for relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukemia with an isocitrate dehydrogenase-2 mutation.
If you look on the lower RHS side you can just see the little Agios swoop and name.  I'm pleased as punch for this approval as I've worked on this program since joining Agios, from its discovery phase through translational medicine all the way through to the clinic with the pharmacovigilance team.

So HUZZAH, a new drug to treat a nasty form of AML and a second HUZZAH for our team!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That's gotta feel good. I've had friends get published and finish grad school, but this I can't quite imagine. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations. My wife, haematologist MD, asked when it will be in Euorope and for how much? :)

    ReplyDelete