Monday, March 19, 2018

Destruction Testing: Bringing a 170t Hovertank to a knife fight

After the last game I wanted to try out the Slammers in a close in fight vs. 'OK' but tough troops.

So here we have Slammers vs Antargran Regulars

Why? Because I have these big tanks and I like to use them!

Big

Tank

Slammers advance

Zoom go the combat cars

Whoosh go the blowers

Ready...

Steady...

Steadier...

Oh @#$%$^& they are on top of us, FIRE!

Hit them!

They are behind us!

Not a lot of effective fire going on here

Antargran reinforcements arrive

Surely this will be different this time

Tanks at 'point blank' range

A 'target rich' environment

blam, KO a tribarrel

BLAM!  skirt destroyed, blower immobilized

KABLEWIE!  Blower destroyed

BLAM!  Blowers main gun KO'd

At the scary end of some big guns

So far the Antargran's are doing OK.  Their heavy armour is doling out the pain

BRAAP, tribarrels open up on the lighter tanks, doling out some effective damage

BANG! Combat cars destroy the Antargran HQ vehicle

Combat car brews up, all crew lost

BZAAAP!  Slammers begin the payback, an Antargran heavy MBT explodes and two light tanks down

MBT immobilized - its surely not long for this battle

Fall back!  Antargran MBT seeks better cover

Lighter tanks hedgehog

Immobilized MBT offers some fire support

BRAAAAP, combat cars chew up the lighter tanks, if not destroying them reducing them to ineffective hulks

BZAAP another immobilized MBT

Not good, Antargran's are down one heavy MBT, with two immobilized ready to be picked off when the Slammers are ready and the light tank platoon is toast.  Time to throw in the towel and seek surrender terms
Slammers in charge of the battle space (again!)

OK, a quick and deadly action.  I wanted to really test the knife-fighting aspect of Slammers warfare, and yes, they are deadly up close.  Slammers vehicles are VERY tough with high all-round armour, the combination of this with speed and ability to gain flank and rear shots (at Elite level) with such high fire volume is deadly.

However, it is now when I realized my big mistake.  I had inadvertently been playing with the 28mm cards for the slammers, so I actually had then moving twice as fast as they should for the same LPs.  After some back-tracking calculations I'm pretty certain the outcome would have been the same, as I had tons of spare LPs for the Slammers so could have used them for additional movements.

So, Slammers, tough, hit hard, hit what they aim at and move fast.  But are they fun?  Sort of, I like playing them, but I don't think I could play them often.

And as a side note on the Crucible rules.  I don't use cm, I stick to inches.  Why?  Two reasons: the first is that Antargran MBT can only move 8cm and the tank is longer than 8cm, I just cannot play with the vehicle not able move its own length in a movement.  Second, in inches the game really zips along, more how I imagine the Slammers novels when I read them.

This was the second of the GZG test games, now its time to pack the toys and be off to the GZG ECC.  Slammers game on Friday night here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment